The wire cutting EDM uses spark erosion to cut metal materials. Compared with traditional machining, it has advantages of fast speed and high precision, and is widely used in the manufacturing of various precision parts.
- Tolerance issues of wire cutting EDM
In wire cutting processing, tolerance is a very critical issue. The size of normal tolerances directly affects the quality and accuracy of the parts. In wire cutting, the normal tolerance is generally around 0.01mm. This is affected by some factors, such as machine control system, the way workpiece is fixed, the selection and processing of the electrode material, etc. these will all have an impact on the tolerance.
2. Improve the tolerance of wire cutting
In addition to the above factors, improving wire cutting tolerances also requires attention to the following issues:
- Cutting speed: Too high cutting speed can easily generate waste heat, which can lead to deformation of the workpiece, affecting tolerances.
- Cutting thickness: The greater the cutting thickness, the bigger the tolerance.
- Electrode materials and processing: Electrodes should be made of materials with high hardness and high conductivity, and they need to be processed.
- Cutting time per unit length: The smaller the cutting time per unit length, the smaller the tolerance.
- Workpiece fixing method: Different ways of fixing the workpiece have different tolerances.
In general, the tolerance of wire cutting is a very critical issue. To ensure the control of normal tolerances, it is necessary to consider multiple factors such as technology, equipment, and material to effectively improve product quality and accuracy.